Necromancer is responsible for the resurrection of all skeletons roaming the land. He is also responsible for resurrecting the Cyclops you defeated earlier in the game. Necromancer is believed as the Evil Wizard's most highly ranked and loyal servant, as he is seen with the Evil Wizard most of the game.
A good animal orb to use when fighting him is Piggy, as he increases all health gained by eating food that is dropped by enemies during this difficult fight into the undead cyclops. Hawkster helps as well, as he brings you food from the dead bodies. Other effective animal orbs include Rammy and Bitey Bat, as they can provide a certain amount of combat support when fighting the many enemies before Necromancer himself.
Necromancer flies out of your attack range at the beginning and revives two waves of dead warriors that you must defeat before you engage him in battle.
- Wave 1: Barbarian, Thief, Bear, Conehead, Fencer, Fire Demon and Ninja.
- Wave 2: Saracen, Royal Guard, Alien, Bear (Beefy), Snakey, Fire Demon, Iceskimo, Barbarian (Beefy), Brute (Beefy), Conehead and Fencer.
Remember to prepare health potions and anything else before fighting, as the second wave is often considered difficult because of the enhanced speed of the enemies and the fact that there are "beefy" type enemies resurrected as well.
Once Necromancer engages you in battle, his main attack will consist of hitting you with his sword up close or creating a wave of magic to hit you from a distance. He will occasionally throw a skeleton at you. Don't attack up close for longer than a few swipes of your sword, as Necromancer will strike you quickly and will deal considerable damage. His magic is quite weak though. For more detail, see the magic section. He uses his shield to block any attacks that can juggle him. When he is air-borne or frozen by magic, players can juggle him. He is not as light as a medium weight, but not as heavy as a heavy-weight- juggle him the same way you would juggle a beefy. You can also use to start juggling him.
Another good idea is to bring up your shield when you are low on magic, then shoot projectiles at him when you recharge. Time your projectiles to hit him the moment he gets up. Magic also has the additional power of actually being able to freeze, burn, poison, shock, and stun this boss, which could save the player and the group a couple of potions, for this is a fairly difficult battle.
An experienced player can also make short work of Necromancer, as keeping him in the air eliminates his ability to fight back. However, if he lands, he always reacts by throwing a skeleton, so be prepared to block.
If playing a co-op game, when he lands get him in between you and just spam him with magic to prevent him from retaliating- or better yet, if both players have max agility, one can hold their shield and the other can attack him with arrows across the screen. The Necromancer does not fall back when hit by an arrow, so you can spam it effectively. When he targets the other player(s), simply switch places in who's blocking and who's spamming arrows.
- If you know how to use / levitation, then you can fly just like Necromancer does in cutscenes.
- After defeating Necromancer, he flies up out of screen and blows up, dropping his Evil Sword.
- The minions Necromancer resurrects in the boss fight are considerably faster and stronger than normal. This is especially noticeable with the beefy characters darting around the field, and the Alien having more health points than normal.
- During the battle with Necromancer, he has a shadow on the wall while flying. When be begins to revive the dead, his shadow won't change and will continue to move as if he is still flying in idle.
- The only other way to get Necromancer besides DLC is by beating the Industrial Castle on insane mode (PS3/PC only)
- His battle music is the instrumental to a song called Simple Sight by RealFaction (Piercing Lazer).
- He has an unamused face when you hurt him with any heavy weapon, as his eyes and frown appear through his visor.
- Necromancer is the strongest warrior working for the Evil Wizard, and is seen throughout the game, appearing to be his second in command.
- Necromancer resurrects two bosses and nearly every unlockable character by the time you face him. Notable exceptions are the DLC characters and the four starting knights. His skeletons seem to be primarily resurrected Gray Knights and Civilians.
- Necromancer is a C Rank character (C).
- Even though as a NPC the Necromancer can fly, he does not have wings as a playable character; however you can fly as him using XYY / STT levitation.
- There has been argued speculation over whether or not the bodies of foes the player defeats will be teleported to his room after they flash and then fade away, thus explaining the abundance in dead bodies everywhere.
- Necromancer's room is the only place one can see normal-sized Brutes, as they are dead on the floor.
- All of the enemies in Necromancer's room drop food, making Piggy an invaluable partner.
- The Necromancer is the only playable boss (besides the Bear Boss).
- On Insane Mode solo, this fight is considered to be by far the hardest fight in the entire game