Magic is one of the four main attributes a character can upgrade in Castle Crashers. Although it may have limited power and usages at earlier levels, it can be devastating at later ones. This attribute is the main factor which can distinguishes one character from the rest, but some characters share magic and some even share all of the same magic cast.
As with other attributes, some weapons and animal orbs can increase the Magic attribute level beyond 25 points. Also, "splash attacks" can hit larger enemies and bosses multiple times because they can either sustain multiple hits before being knocked down, or simply just can't be knocked down so they have to sustain all damage dealt with a splash attack, which maximizes how quickly such enemies die.
Magic is used to perform non-standard attacks. Elemental magics are specialized and more useful on some targets than others. Non-Elemental magic is general-purpose and will be equally effective on almost every type of enemy. The combos are listed below.
Types of MagicEdit
Each elemental magic has its own special effect:
- Fire: Burns a target, inflicting steady fire damage over a short time.
- Ice: Freezes the target, immobilizing them for a short time.
- Electricity: Shocks a target, stunning them for a short time.
- Poison: Poisons a target, causing it to suffer steady poison damage over a short time.
- Note: Also, certain enemies are weak or strong against certain elements, or take more or less damage from certain types of elemental attacks. Some enemies are either strong or weak against certain elemental attacks. The use of elemental magic is usually reserved for the four starting knights (Green, Red, Blue and Orange Knights). However, a few other characters can also use elemental magic or may have non-elemental attacks which do have elemental effects. Cult Minions are immune to all elemental magics and take 1 damage with no effect or knockback.
Non-elemental magic is generally not resisted by enemies and has no particular strength against some of them. However, some non-elemental magic attacks have special properties:
- Basic: Has no special properties.
- Bomb: Has the ability to fire unlimited bombs as magic projectiles.
- Healing: Can heal the character with that magic and also heal those around said character.
- Physical: Does melee damage, allowing it to, among other things, attack the Evil Wizard's red forcefield.
- Other: Unique magic attacks with their own unique characteristics.
The highest magic bonus in the game can be obtained by wielding the Black Morning Star (Original) or the Unicorn Horn, which both deal a +6 Magic boost, while bringing Beholder, adds a +2 (Original) or +4 (Remastered) Magic boost, yielding a total bonus of +8 (Original) or +10 (Remastered) Magic.
Although that's all fine and dandy, professional players use and recommend loadouts with +5 Magic, particularly through weapons like the Snakey Staff, Glowstick, and the Ninja Claw with Beholder, and for a good reason: The only difference between +1 through +4 Magic and +0 is damage, and the only difference between +6 through +8 (Original) or +10 (Remastered) and +5 Magic is damage. +5 Magic is where your Splash Attack is upgraded, and you receive several mana benefits. Any other additional magic is merely an excess taken as an opportunity cost that could've yielded much better stats. For example using the Black Morning Star instead of the Snakey Staff is not recommended.
Refer to the following list to see which type of magic each character is included in:
- Basic: Peasant, Civilian, Thief, Stove Face, Open Faced Gray Knight, Barbarian
- Money: Hatty Hattington
- Physical: Bear, Saracen
- Buzzsaw: Fencer, Industrialist
- Nature: Brute, Snakey
- Dark: Skeleton, Cultist
- Healing: King
- Bees: Killer Beekeeper
- Shadow: Ninja
- Death: Necromancer
- Fabulocity: Pink Knight
- Money: Hatty Hattington
- Ice Splash/XXXY: Iceskimo
- Fire Splash/XXXY: Alien
- Fire Projectile: Blacksmith
- Bomb + Non-Elemental XXXY: Conehead, Royal Guard
- Bomb + Default XXXY: Gray Knight
Magic-Oriented Weapons and PetsEdit
The following weapons grant a mana bonus:
- Unicorn Horn (+6), two (Original) or four (Remastered) if combined with Beholder
- Glowstick (+5)
- Snakey Mace (+5)
- NG Golden Sword (+5)
- Staff (+5)
- Ninja Claw (+3)
- Dinner Fork (+3)
- Key Sword (+3)
- Thunderbolt (+3)
- Gold Sword (+4)
- Zigzag (+3)
- Emerald Sword (+3)