Castle Crashers is a side-scrolling beat-em-up developed by The Behemoth, which incorporates a small number of role-playing game elements. An early version of Castle Crashers was first shown at Comic-Con 2005 under the name of Ye Olde Side-Scroller, while at another show it was named “The Behemoth’s Next Game”. In this beta version the character design for the protagonists was different and even the levels had some changes before the final release. In 2006, Behemoth announced the game as available for download via the Xbox Live Arcade service.
- Blue Knight, in the beta footage of the game, was shown to freeze enemies upon hitting them on contact.
- In the beta footage of the game, it was shown that you could equip and store away weapons freely at any time.
- You could also cast Magic attacks without ever having to pull out a weapon.
- The beta footage shows an earlier version of what appears to be the Thieves' Forest level.
- The Beefy shown in the beta was able to charge toward the player and also had the ability to punch at the ground like the Beefy Royal Guards in Sand Castle Interior do in the final version of Castle Crashers.